District Area: 63.55 km2
Leader: Kurt Forsman
Name and Etymology:
"Kökar" derives from Medieval Danish Thiyckækarl or Swedish Tiokkakarl. "Kökar" also means kitchen.
The economy of Kökar is primarily based on tourism and shipping.
Kökar was settled in the Bronze Age. The island became a way station on the Hanseatic route from Denmark to Estonia. It is the site of a fifteenth century Franciscan monastery. It was ceded to Russia in 1809, becoming part of Finland after the first world war. It is majority Swedish-speaking.