District Area: 32.37 km²
Name and Etymology:
Saint Peter is named after the Anglican parish church in Parham, the oldest settlement in Antigua.
Parham hosts a port and power plant, and the parish contains several sugar plantations.
The English settled on the Carib/Arawak island of Wadadli in 1632 and founded Parham. Saint Peter became a center of sugar production and the site of Betty's Hope, Antigua's first sugar plantation. Slavery was outlawed in 1834 and the country of Antigua and Barbuda gained independence in 1981.